Sunday, January 15, 2012

inspiration

Have you ever sat back and realized that if your babies had been born 20 years ago they wouldn't have survived? or survived as long as they have? I remember when I was sitting in NICU at UCSF with Liam. Day after day I would stare at him and try to come up with words to say so he'd hear my voice. I'd try to get the nerve just to touch his little hand. I got into several discussions with his nurses and one day we got into one about CDH and medical miracles. I dont know if Nurse Sue thought I needed a pep talk but the conversation really helped me and lifted my spirits. Our babies are the first generation with CDH to survive. Only within the last 20 years have they come up with the technology to save these babies. 20 years ago ECMO wasnt here for them. My mother in law was telling Liam's story to a lady she knows and after she described what CDH was the women told her 40 years ago she had a baby girl and the baby died 20 minutes after she was born. When they did the autopsy they found she had CDH. Back then they didn't have a name, or atleast she didn't know what it was called. She was happy to have a name for her babies condition and very pleased to find out that they have the technology to save these babies now. I wanted to share this because it was one of those facts that gave me hope while sitting in NICU.

No comments:

Post a Comment