Friday, April 4, 2014

Why

In this day and age I wanna know why it's not accepted to have a child with complex medical problems. Why it's not accepted for a mother (or parent) of a child with complex medical problems to be exhausted or have a bad day. 

I want to know why it's ok for a teacher to use a gate that's not supposed to be opened until the bell rings but two seconds after the gate shuts won't let a child through it. A kindergartener at that. 
Rules are rules the school says. Well if rules are rules then the same rules should apply to the lazy teacher who is just too lazy to walk around every morning like she told my daughter too. 

Lanie walked herself to class a few times until we found out she was getting bullied. Then we went and talked to the school office about it. The situation was never actually resolved except that I'm supposed to walk her to class every day. That doesn't solve the bullying. I had explained that I have a son with complex medical issues and there are times where it's not doable to get him out of the car. I explained how he doesn't need to be exposed to germs, flu/RSV band what not but they didn't bat an eye. Infact they didn't care nor were nice about telling me that I still needed to walk her to class. To be truthfully honest I felt like they were treating me as if I was some POS mom who didn't care about her kid and too lazy to walk her to class. 

The fact of the matter is that if you have a child with medical needs the world looks at you like it's your fault and they treat you like crap. When Liam was on oxygen and 24-7 feeding pump and I would have to take him with me out in public people would give me dirty looks. Gee I'm so sorry if your upset by seeing a baby hooked to oxygen and a feeding tube. Get over it! I live with it every day. And don't look at me like in some druggie who couldn't kick te habit while prego. I don't do drugs and my son isn't a drug baby!

I did everything I was supposed to while pregnant. Took all the right meds, ate all the right foods and yet he was still born sick. There is no known cause of CDH. Nothing I did made Liam be born with CDH. There was no way to prevent it. It wasn't my fault. You shouldn't judge people based of the small snip it's of what you see or hear. 

A child growing a huge fit in the middle of the store and the most everyone will automatically judge the parents as bad. What they don't see is the behind the scenes. They don't know if that child has any medical issues. They don't know if the child is easily over stimulated or has autism or what. And they don't care either. The majority of te world thinks that these kids and issues should be locked behind closed doors and hidden away. 

That's the problem with society. They want it all swept under the carpet instead of spreading awareness band acceptence. 

This all leads back to this mornings incident with Lanie trying to get into the Kindegarten playground. After two weeks of hardly any sleep at all and being up since 3am I am exhausted. Liam is sick. He doesn't need to be out in the weather or out exposed to other viruses. I just couldn't find the energy to get Liam out of the car and walk her all the way to the play yard. I just couldn't do it but does anyone understand. Nope. No one even tries too. 

I don't expect a 6 year old to understand but she understand better than any adult. She was upset the teacher was rude to her this morning but understood why we couldn't just walk to class. She was crying when she walked back to me. I held her until the bell rang then sent her on her way. I watched as the same teacher scolded her again and with slumped shoulders she walked through the gate and to class. I wanted to go run and scoup her up and take her home. We could cuddle on the couch and watch cartoons and cry if we wanted too. Just spend out bad day together. But I couldn't do that. She needs school and needs to find her own way to deal with everything. I can't tell her the right way because different thins work for different people. 

I've explained to her teacher that she is more emotional that most kids but it's because all she went trough since Liam was born. She had to brave mommy being gone, then brave NICU daily, having mom and brother ripped away every time Liam got sick. She's been through a lot. More than any kid should have to experience. I warned her teacher that she gets upset at the littlest things and cries at the drop of a hat because her emotions and stress. So when a teacher makes her cry because she's being mean to Lanie I get furious. 

Why is it not accepted to have a medically complex child or for a mom to be exhausted but it's accepted that a teacher uses double standards and is mean or rude to a child accepted? 

No comments:

Post a Comment