Sunday, September 14, 2014

Potty Dance

I never thought that at the age of 3 my son would still be in diapers. 

My daughter started potty training at the age of 1 1/2 and was fully potty trained by age 2. 

Obviously we couldn't start potty training Liam at the age of 1 1/2 because, for starters, he didn't walk until right before his 2nd birthday. He hasn't been able to communicate with us verbally until recently. We tried once before, this last spring, to potty train but Liam didn't understand it. 

Now it's clicked in his head what the potty is and what your supposed to do with it. 

Yesterday I happened to be in the bathroom using the potty (TMI) when Liam walked in. He asked me what I was doing so I told him. I saw this look in his eyes like something clicking together and so I asked him if he would like to use the potty. 

Liam got so excited. He clapped his hands and said "yay potty". And sure enough he used the potty! 

This was yesterday evening, right before his shower. After his shower I asked him if he'd like to use the potty again. And again he was excited. He had used the potty successfully twice before bedtime. 

Today I've kept asking him if he had to use the potty. He successfully used the potty 5 times before 1:30pm. One of those times he even went #2. (Again I know TMI)

Liam was rewarded with plenty of cheers and high fives. This last time he didn't want to stop playing but did without a fight and was rewarded with a sticker. Boy does he love his stickers. 

Today hasn't been accident free, and I didn't expect it to be. I also don't expect any of the days to follow to be accident free. In fact, he's still wearing diapers because he isn't going 100% in the toilet. In fact we've still had several full diapers. 

I feel like starting potty training and immediately changing him into undies would be too big of a change that he just can't handle or process right now. The last time I tried to potty train Liam I immediately put him in undies and that resulted in both of us being frustrated. Today hasn't been frustrating in the least. 

We've been celebrating his accomplishments in using the potty and I think that's going to be our key to success. Just letting him do it on his own time, but reminding him to go. I'm very proud of him and how well he's been doing so far. I don't expect this to be smooth sailing. What I do expect is many accidents and weeks of failing until he gets it down. My expectations aren't high, they're reasonable and reachable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment