Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Feeding Solids



Liam had his first taste of solid food last night starting with rice cereal. I was pleasantly suprised that he didn't spit the food back out at me, instead settling for a dirty look before swolling. He ate about 15 to 20 bites before I saw signs that he was tired and done. I fed him again around 11 am this morning. He took about the same amount that he took last night and still giving me dirty looks. Tonight I tried again. He only made it through 10 to 15 bites before he became severely aggitated and started yelling at me. I also noticed tonight that he wasn't immediately swollowing the food. He just held it in his mouth while he jabbered for awhile before swolling, but eventually did swollow. It seems like he is already starting to regress. I could feel the dissapointment in myself and the failure that I was doing something wrong. I know that it is entirely stupid for me to be feeling this way since these CDH babies just have these issues. No one know exactly why they refuse to eat or have difficulties or if they do I haven't been privy of the answers. I know I just need to keep trying and not give up. Liam will do better as long as I keep trying but if I give up now he'll never have a chance to prove himself and he he deserves the chance. My love for him hasn't lessoned, if anything my love only grows with every challenge we face. This is an amazing journey we have found ourselves on.









1 comment:

  1. The exact same thing happened to me when I started feeding Dakota. Actually she took less before she started throwing a fit. It sounds like Liam is off to a great start. I had gotten frustrated and then my dad was babysitting and he decided to try again and after he would put a spoonful in her mouth, he could take her hand and put her two fingers gently in her mouth (she liked to suck on her fingers) and sucking on her fingers helped her swallow. I did very, very little spoonfuls and we kept doing that till she started doing it herself. Then she got the hang of swallowing and didn't need her fingers anymore. The first food she ever liked was to suck on and knaw on a full banana (under our supervision of course so that she didn't get too big of a bite). These are just things that worked for me. It's tough and they will hate it before they like it.
    Hugs,
    Jennifer
    Mom to Dakota 12-25-2008
    RCDH survivor

    ReplyDelete