Friday, September 9, 2016

Standing Tall

(Taken September 9th, 2012)

Yea I know he's crying but I took a moment to capture this moment in a picture. What appears to be nothing out of the normal to you, was something huge in our world. The aftermath of CDH was tremendous. Sure he flew through NICU at a "mere" 48 days when he wasn't expected to make it but we lived with the devastation of CDH every day from the moment he was born. 

So here is my son, 14 months old at the time. Just a few months prior to this, right before his 1st birthday, he learnt how to sit on his own. He was still wobbly and fell over more often than not, but it was a huge feat for him. Then at 14 months old, he graced us with another trick and pulled himself into a standing position all on his own. 

We were in the hospital and I had "mistakenly" taken a moment to use the restroom. Because of this he had to be put back into the crib. He was fine until I got out of sight for longer than 30 seconds. When I didn't show my face after his grace time, he started crying. Now remember, Liam still did not talk. I rushed out to find he pulled himself into a standing position. I then started crying. 

I snapped the picture then ran to his side. I hugged him, but left him standing because I couldn't get enough of this wonderful sight. The nurse walked in to find us both blubbering away. I started laughing through my tears and Liam followed suit. Soon the tears were gone and it was all laughter. I explained to our nurse what had just happened. She excitedly told Liam what a good boy he was then explained how we forever more, would have to not only keep the bars all the way up at all times, but put a hood on the crib to prevent climbing. I laughed. Liam's great feat resulted in a full on cage to keep my monkey boy in. 

Some of the after effects of CDH were low muscle tone, delayed development, poor fine motor skills and more. Being in the hospital as much as he was, also affected his development. Liam spent more than half his life stuck in a hospital. If you were to adjust for that, he would only be around 2 years old. Because of hard work and determination, he began catching up. It took daily activities at home but we made it fun. By the time he started preschool in 2015, he appeared "normal"*. He was running and jumping with the other kids. He couldn't keep up, but he tried with all his might. 


*The term "normal" here is a realative term. I know that normal isn't really a thing so when I use this, I'm referring to health wise. You have the "normal" kids who are healthy. Then you have the other kids who aren't healthy, like Liam. When I say things like "we wish we had a normal life" to referring to the fact that we wish for healthy. And now that we've lost Liam, our lives are just even farther from normal as you can get. 

No comments:

Post a Comment