Thursday, May 22, 2014

Delightful Little Boy


Babyhood is full of innocence. Liam's life as a baby was harsh to say the least and I believe that Liam thinks this is just how life is. He knows no other way of life. For a long while is was full of pain for him and he was miserable at times but Liam is strong. Because he knows no other way I believe that's why he was able to smile through it. At times he was so weak, pale and fragile and you could see the pain in his eyes but he would look up at me and break out into a grin. For that short moment while he'd smile he's forget about the pain and I'd have hope. 

Ive been asked many times how I did it. How I stayed by his side through it all without falling apart. The truth is as a parent you kick into auto pilot and do whatever is needed. Why I didn't fall apart is a miracle. But as every day passed id see a change in him and with every passing day is have more hope for the future. 

Liam's transition between baby to toddler was seemingly overnight. For months Liam could only take a step or two on his own and couldn't stand unassisted for long. Then one day everything changed. Liam just stood up and took off walking. Out of nowhere. I remember we were in the doctors office when it happened. I sat there holding him in the room and cried. I was so over joyed. 

From that moment on, everything changed. Liam was no longer a baby. His behavior changed into a toddler. There really was no smooth transition it was just one minute he's my baby and the next he's a full blown toddler going through terrible twos. Liam had almost two years as a baby, just one month shy to be honest. He started walking about a month before he turned 2 years old. It was momentous. 

The little boy Liam is today is mind blowing. He's is strong willed, opinionated, stubborn, hilarious and oh so adorably perfectly boy! 

I absolutely love the little boy he's become. Yes there are moments when I want to pull my hair out but I am so grateful for them. 

He has this high pitch scream he does when he doesn't get his way. It causes me many headaches but I love the sound. When he was in NICU and could not make a sound I couldn't wait for the day I could hear his little voice cry, scream, talk. Now I am getting my fill and more.

Liam hugs are magical. I could be in the worst mood ever and Liam will just walk up to me, climb up and wrap his little arms around my neck. He will then say in his sweet little voice "mommy!" all excitedly, and kiss me before walking away. He melts my heart, pulls all the strings and fills it with joy. 

My favorite quote if all time is and has always been "imagination is greater than knowledge" by Albert Einstein. Every day it watch Liam as he plays and I can see his imagination growing. The way he plays with his cars, stuffed toys, and other things. As I watch him, I find myself sucked into his imaginary world and just for a few minutes I can imagine what he's seeing. 

Every day is a new experience. I watch as he gets stronger with each passing day. Every day his love for food grows and he eats more. It's extremely exciting. Liam's communication skills are growing as well. I find myself asking him questions or saying things that get the response "okay mommie" or "yaaaay yay yay". The way he says "bye bye" elicits the response to take him for a ride in the car. 

Liam knows he cute and knows how to use it. A smile or a bat of his eyes and he has everyone willing to give him anything he wants. No one is safe from him charms. 

My absolute favorite age for Liam so far is the age he is at right now. 2 years and 10 months. Everything is exciting and new at this age. It's all too easy to get wrapped up in their amazing, happy little world. 









No comments:

Post a Comment