Thursday, May 22, 2014

Breakfast With My Big Girl

There aren't many things sweeter than a child's smile. Lanie smile this morning when I took her to school early to eat breakfast in the cafeteria was worth getting up despite lack of sleep last night thanks to Liam's night terror and stomach pain. This smile I would just about anything for:


Lanie really wanted to go to school early and eat breakfast at the cafeteria more than anything. She begged and pleaded. Yesterday I told her yes. I hadn't expected my night to be so terrible but if I woke up to this smile everyday I'd do it in a heart beat. This smile woke me up better than a whole pot of coffee (and it's healthier than coffee 😉) 

I watched as Lanie stood in line (above pic) for the cafeteria, sanitize her hands before walking in, check in with the lunch lady, choose her food and carry it to the table outside where we sat. 

Lanie opened her cerial without any help. I wanted to cry. I'm just not ready for her to grow up. Luckily I think she cought on because bless her little heart, she asked me to open her milk for her. I was also allowed to open up her spork. 


Lanie poured milk over her cereal all by herself. I was in utter shock at how much she's really grown up. I didn't jump in to do it all for her like my instincts wanted me too. I played nice and let her do it. 

Why?


Because this smile showing how very proud she was of herself. I feel so blessed to have been able to have this moment with her. Next week they will be getting to have lunch in the cafeteria to practice the proper procedures and learn what's expected of them next year when they enter first grade but I was so happy that she choose to have me teach her the basics. 

My heart is overflowing with joy and I am so proud of her. In her own little way she's trying to make the change easy for both herself and me. The little hugs I get when she goes off to class or to play with her friends on the playground are the little moments that will remind me she still loves me, still needs me. 

To the moon and back, I will always love you ❤️





No comments:

Post a Comment