Monday, March 31, 2014

Ugh feeding tube failings

3/28/2014
Liam was crawling off the couch and guess what...

His feeding tube gets pulled out. 

I don't know if he's just extra hyper today because he's exhausted or what but he's been wallering the furniture, using me as a jungle gym and running around like an absolute crazy boy. 

So he slid of the couch, looks down and back up at me and says "uh oh. Mom out mom out" and points to his button sitting there on the floor. 

I grab our little tool and proceeded to put it back in. I've never taken pics of the process before and since I'm always being asked how it works I thought I'd share. Thanks to Daddy I was able to get pics. 

Be warned though, the pics aren't pretty. They're pretty gross. 

This one it was it looks like right after the button gets pulled out. I use a rag and ripe off all the fluid and blood. The reason it bled so much was because he stretched out the stoma when it came out. 

Next I insert the little tool and flatten out the buttons barb just enough to go back through the tube. That's it! It's ready to go. 

I did put triumcunilone cream on his stoma and a tubie pad. I also wrapped his belly with an ace bandage to keep it in. 

I am irritated that it came out because Liam was on a break from having his belly wrapped. The wrap hadn't been off but 45min. Figures though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment