Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Attached by the cord

Last night I did a post on how I set up Liam's night feeds. Tonight I want to do one that shows how I get Liam ready. 

He is literally attached to the cord, or in this care tube, all night long. When Liam had a GJtube I had to worry about it getting pulled out because that resulted in a immediate trip to children's ( 1 1/2hrs away) so they could put in a catheter to keep the hole open. He would end up with an IV and have to stay until they could get him in to surgery to replace a new GJtube. Then they would keep him until he tolerated full feeds and gained so many KG per day. This would usually be a week long process. 

To avoid this I started wrapping an ace bandage around Liam's belly to hold the tube in. Yes Liam does have a Gtube now that I can replace myself but we want to avoid stretching the hole. We also don't want it coming out in the middle of the night and leak all over as well as take a chance at his hole closing. Here's how Liam gets ready for bed:

This is the top part of Liam's stoma. It's actually looking really good compared to past. 
And the bottom of his stoma. He just stopped antibiotics for an infection of the stoma. It's a little irritated here because Liam pulled his tube out today accidentally. This is how we start, with a clean stoma. 

After cleaning Liam's stoma I use triumcinolone cream. This help with all that red tissue you saw above called granulation tissue. It's shrunk his in half in just a few days. Sometimes if the stoma looks really irritated and is sensitive ill use neosporin with pain releaver in it. It really does make a huge difference. 

Now tonight I had to use this stoma paste stuff instead of the normal stomahessive. We're still waiting on his refull to get here. This stoma paste seems to burn Liam and it smells bad. Putting the cream around Liam's stoma actually prevents this paste from burning and irritating. I had to figure that out on my own. You'd think they're be a warning on the tube but there wasn't one I could see. Still it's the only stoma anything we can get at our local walgreens or any local pharmacy. Liam's regulate stuff, stomahessive has to be filled by the walgreens at children's hospital (1 1/2 hrs away) and sent to us. They are a specialty pharmacy that deals with the special needs stuff like this and know how to work with CCS. I love the stomahessive because is a powder that when it gets wet turns into a glue like substance. Liam's tube leaks a lot on ots own I apply lots of the powder and it works like a charm. It also is easier to remove than that paste. 

Next comes the split gauze. I prefer 4x4s over 2x2s because they seem to soak up more when needed. I place the gauze between the button and belly. The paste or stomahessive bonds the gauze to his belly. What I didn't get a pic of was how I put in Liam's extension the. Take more gauze and place it under and around the extension but above the button. This braces the extension keeping it elevated and flat. If I don't do this the extension pulls on Liam's button causing the hike to stretch and causing Liam pain. 

Lastly I wrap his belly with an ace bandage. The one shown I had cut in half because it was so long, then sewed it so it was wider and fit his abdomen perfectly. I also used Velcro for a fast way to secure the bandage around his belly. Ace bandaged are pretty cheap these days. You can even find them at certain dollar stores. Velcro is only a few bucks and you don't need much. Your looking at maybe $3 spend to keep in his feeding tube. It's amazing how $3 saved us many many hospital stays and surges when Liam had a GJ.

When Liam was hooked to his pump during the day we couldn't keep him cooped up. Thankfully the ace bandage had given him the chance to realize his tube was being pulled out before it actually happened. He ended up stopping before the tube would come out. Liam's night regimen is pretty straightforward and simple as can be for a tube fed child. 


No comments:

Post a Comment