Saturday, November 18, 2017

Grief Journal: Telling About Your Loss


2) Describe a time you told someone (who didn't already know) about your loss.

The other day I had to see a surgeon. The nurse doing the intake had to ask me a series of questions. Those questions included needing to know how many children I had. That is a hard question for me since the loss of my son.

I explained that I had my 9 year old daughter and that I lost my 4 year old son.

I then braced myself for what was surely to come next. Most people get this look of pitty in their eyes and say how sorry they are for me. It confuses me because they never look truly saddened. It's always pure pitty and I hate pitty.

This girl however didn't react whatsoever. No "I'm sorry", no look of pitty, nothings. In that moment I could have hugged her. She was the very first person not to fake it. She probably didn't care one bit but she was truthful in her actions and I was so very grateful.

There are times where I can't bring myself to tell one more person that I've lost a child. Times when I can't bear to hear one more "I'm sorry" or see one more look of pitty. For instance there's a cashier at Walmart that I've yet to be able to correct when she asks where my babies are. She just assumes they're both at home or school. I haven't found the courage to explain that my son died two years ago this December.

So being confronted with someone who was real was refreshing.


Click here to view the complete list of journal prompts.

No comments:

Post a Comment