Monday, January 12, 2015

Click Click Click

Those are the sounds of Liam's little tongue.
Sounds that we worked hard to get him to make.
Sounds we weren't sure if he'd ever figure out.
But now,
At 3 years old as he sits besides me,
smiling bigger with every click of his tongue.
I of course smile back because,
duh I'm happy.
Every little noise,
every new word learned,
every jump,
every breathe,
means we won.
We won and CDH lost.
Every day we are tackling those hurdles,
and finding a way over,
through,
or around them.
Every day is an opportunity to overcome.
Every day is an opportunity to smile,
and laugh,
and live.


The CDH community has been faced with so much loss lately.
It hurts.
I may not know these people,
the children,
these babies,
personally,
but it still breaks my heart to see the loss.
To see their pain.
Their journey in finding a way to make this work for them.
It's a continued reminder of what we could have lost.
What we still can loose.
That things change at the drop of a hat,
the change in the wind,
from one breath to the next.
I would love to be secure in the fact that my son is 3,
a survivor,
and will always be a survivor.
But that doesn't make him untouchable.
There are a million things in life that can go wrong.
All I can be confident in is that I have this day,
this moment,
this breath.
That's all any of us can be confident in really.
Don't take for granted the little moments that make life worth living,
because one day you won't have those moments,
and you'll wish you enjoyed them while you could.

(Image is a pic of Liam receiving a flower from his cousin Chass, reminding us to take the time to stop and smell the "roses")
Want more of Liam? Checkout his facebook page


No comments:

Post a Comment