Saturday, June 1, 2013

Feeding Pump Tip

After months of Liam sleeping through the night but having to continue to wake up to add formula I the feeding pump and to re-prime it every 4 hours, I was fed up! Formula cannot stay un-refrigerated for more than 4 hours because it goes bad. My solution? I got those insulated bags from when they'd mail me Liam's refrigerated meds that needed to stay cool during the journey. I figured I meds can stay good traveling for 2 days in these bags, surely formula will be fine for 12 hours. I cut a small hole in an upper corner, where the opening is so I could hang it on his IV pole. Then I cut a hole in the corner diagonal to that big enough for the tubing to go through. After filling the bag with the formula he needs for the night, I add a few ice packs to keep it cold. Liam normally uses just a bit more formula that the bag can hold at one time so I just refill it after I go to bed a few goes after he does. I've been doing this for a week now and its been a life saver. The next morning the bag doesn't look gross from old milk either because the milk never went bad. His tummy also handled is better. You can buy insulated bag at most stores. I've also used a zip lock bag and a few other things but this works the best. 


No comments:

Post a Comment