Saturday, June 15, 2013

23 Months Today


Little Liam Lamb turned 23 months today. Just 1 month left until his 2 year birthday bash. In a way it feels like this last 23 months has been 15 years but I also cannot believe he's going to be 2 already. I still frequently find myself taken back to the halls of USCF where I lived for 48 days while Liam was I'm NICU there. He's come so far in such a short time. Two years ago today I was in miserable and in physical pain. I was on bed rest because I was in premature labor and had been for quiet some time. I  spent many night crying in pain while everyone else slept just so I could make it through the day appearing strong and together. At this point two years ago I wasn't hardly able to sleep. Still I knew that God had given me a precious baby boy and I knew it would all be worth just to hold him. I didn't know then that Liam would be several weeks old before I got him in my arms. 

One year ago today, I was getting anxious and nervous. Would something happen that would get him stuck in the hospital an unable to celebrate his 1st birthday with all his family and friends? Things like this frequently ran through my head. I was excited but it was over shadowed by anxiety and fear. Liam survived. We were only 1 month away to being able to say "We did it! We survived NICU and the 1st year". Liam was just learning how to sit. He had his stuffed puppy 'Baba' he had to take everywhere. He was on oxygen full time and stuck to a feeding pump for 24 hours a day. He was on J feeds, ate nothing by mouth and barely started jabbering and holding toys in his hands. He had 9 hospital stays and countless surgeries. He spent more time in the hospital than home and we cherished every minute we had together as a family. We still do. I knew we were at the point when things were supposed to get better. That's what we kept being told and what Id tell my self everyday all day just to make it through. Our days consisted of meds, treatments, feeds, therapy. There was so much of that and so little time for anything else. Still, we held on knowing it was all worth it. 

Liam and Baba. Wow a year later and he looks exactly the same minus the oxygen! 

And now, one month to Liam's 2nd birthday and I'm excited, shocked and elated at how far he's come. Most of his progress has been since March when he got his AMT mini ballonless Gtube. Since then he's started eating, walking, talking, and just all around taken off. This time last year he rolled around the living room to get into things. Now he practically runs. And he climbs. He gets into everything! Takes things that aren't his and plays keep away. His laugh fills the house and is contagious. I absolutely love it. And even though I keep a bag packed for the hospital I don't expect to have to go anytime soon. No longer do I worry with every little cough that we will end up there. I'm more confident than I was a year ago, stronger, smarter. This time last year spending time outside landed Liam in the hospital. Now, he practically lives outside. He soaks up the sun, plays in the grass and gets dirty like every little boy should. He loves cars, has started his own collection of hotwheels and other cars. He carries them around everywhere and knows all the good places on the house to make them roll. He won't take his eyes of the tv when NASCAR is on and cries during commercials because e wants more. When a car drives by he stops what he's doing to watch it. He makes it a point to climb onto his train table daily and sit in the middle and make the cars and trains go around him. I just introduced him to the old superman cartoons and he loves them. Meds only happen twice a day now. He's only hooked to his feeding pump an pulse ox for 12 hrs at night and 3 bolus feeds during the day. He's a little piggy some days and won't stop eating and other days won't hardly eat at all. Most importantly, he's my son and I love everything about him. 




Last years post: http://mommyconfessionalinmyshoes.blogspot.com/2012/06/11-months-old.html?m=0







No comments:

Post a Comment