Friday, August 19, 2011

Feeding is going great

Liam was able to do 3 feeds from a bottle yesterday. It's exciting because he's going beyond the doctors expectations. His nasal canula was also lowered to 2 liters of room air yesterday morning. This morning around 7am he decided he didn't need his gtube anymore for feeding so he pulled it out himself. Cindy talked to one of the head NP's and suggested that they do a trial and let him do all his feeds via bottle instead of putting back the gtube. I was able to bottle feed him 4 times today before having to leave. The orders are to continue bottle feeding through the night. So the nurses will actually have to work tonight instead of letting him sleep through the night. The doctors, nurses and ocupational therapist are amazed with him. They said that this wasn't normal protocal for CDH babies because they usually have feeding and breathing issues but their letting Liam call the shots on this one for once. I also talked to them about the nasal canula. They told me that there was no set time for weining and every case is different but generally they leave each setting on for 48 hours before lowering it again. When they get to 1 liter they sometimes leave it instead of removing the nasal canula just until their sure the baby has the hang of feeding and isnt breathing too rapidly while feeding. They don't think that will be an issue for Liam because he has gotten the hang so quickly and easily. I keep expecting a set back. I know he is doing amazing and it is shocking but I cant help to expect one. I dont want to get my hopes up and atleast this way I wont be heartbroken when he does have a set back. It also makes the progress that much more exciting. Liam is a fighter and he will fight to the end. I thank God every day for making him such a strong little guy and I know that this will only make him stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment