Saturday, August 6, 2011

A Critical Mistake

The doctors noticed that our cherubs right lung (his good lung) was slightly colapsed again yesterday. When I went in to visit him I noticed they went up on his oxygen and pressure and were going up again as I was standing there. I asked what was going on and the nurse explained that our baby was having some trouble breathing then proceded to tell me that they took an xray of his lung that morning and it looked alittle inky and they were waiting for the doctors to decide what they were going to do. I was so upset. We were making progress again just to be shuved back. As I'm standing there looking between my struggling baby and his machines I noticed something they completly missed. I called the nurse over and said "You guys have been messing with his machine giving him more pressure and oxygen but you didn't think to check his tubing?" and I showed him how the tube providing oxygen and pressure was pinched closed in the side of the bed. The look on the nurse's face was all I needed to know that was a bad thing. It just made me matter so I complained. The tube spent most of the night and morning like that and with all the people that attend my son no one noticed. That's just plain neglegance and told me that the night nurse and day shift nurse he had didn't hardly do anything with him because if they had moved him enough the cpap mask he has and the tubing would have pulled giving away that it was stuck. So because the nurses nor the respitory therapist that work the machine didn't notice my sons lung slightly colapsed and would have completly colapsed if I had not noticed. So yes I am very very upset. Once I unpinched the tubing within minutes my sons stats went up and the oxygen and pressure went down. His xray this morning showed his lung had reinflated and he looked great. I wish they same nurses I know and trust could watch over him 24-7 and he not have to have alternates every now and then. Believe me, I am noting everything because that small mishap on their part would have sent my son back to having to be intubated and the situation could have been bad. I learned a very valuable lesson that just because their nurses doesn't mean their exactly qualified or trustworthy for taking care of my son. Questions should always be asked and if the nurse doesn't know the case they shouldn't be allowed to work with the patient. The nurse he had last night and today didn't know hardly anything. Everytime I asked a question it was "um I don't know" or "Oh we didn't tell you?". It's absolutly rediculous and appaling to know they let someone like that work with such critical babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment