Friday, October 16, 2015

Behind The Scenes

Truth be told there are a lot of things leading to this post. On the Bobby Bones show this morning they were talking about how no one posts the gory details or the truth on social media. Everything is sugar coated. When you ask someone how they're doing the automatic response is "great thanks for asking" not "well shitty actually". I've tried to keep things real here and not sugar coat it, but I think I failed. 

I'm always trying to stay positive even when I don't feel positive. That's just how I am, who I am. So let's do some behind the scenes recon here and be real. 

"How are you doing?" Well pretty shitty actually. I'm super stressed. Liam's sick AGAIN. He was just sick last month. We narrowly avoided a hospital stay. It was pretty scary to watch him have problems breathing. Truthfully it brings back memories from the first time I held him and he turned blue on me. They had to call a code blue. I guess before then I never thought about why they call it a code blue and it pretty much freaked me out. I was scared to hold him for a long time and had so much anxiety over it. To say that that experience really messed me up would be to put it lightly. I have a hard time holding other people's babies because of this and when I do get the courage to, it's only for a minute or two before anxiety sets in. 

We're on our last option for home treatment right now. Oral steroids and another antibiotic. He's been on oxygen all week. Today is the first time in 3 days he's gone without it for lasted more than 5 minutes. It's scary. I'm on edge. Our bags are packed and ready to go in case it comes to that. If it wasn't for last nights storm, I would have been driving him to children's hospital. But this morning he's better. This storm has caused us to go without electricity twice in two days for long periods of time. Which is scary when you have a kid on oxygen and the concentrator needs electricity. So not only were we getting sudden pitch black darkness but a loud alarm screaming at us telling us there's no electricity going to his oxygen machine. Yea that 3am wake up call about gave us all a heart attack! It's a good thing we have oxygen tanks. 

I'm not a fan of repetitiveness or alarms to say the least. They raise my anxiety and caused flashbacks so I'm always jumping up the minute they go off to shut them off. I just can't deal with it. My morning wake up alarm is a song on my phone because I can't take alarms. I have freaked out and screamed at both his feeding pump and pulse ox. I've broken down crying in frustration and anger because no matter what I did he alarm would go off. 

On top of it all is Liam's fits today. Crying over everything. Crying for no apparent reason. Crying because he was told no. Crying because he wants the cartoons changed every 2 minutes. Crying because he wants me to make him a specific food then crying when I do because he no longer wants it. Crying because the kitten looked at him wrong. He wanted me to hold him then would use his elbows into my stomach (pretty sure accidentally). Then he'd try to put his fingers in my mouth (not accidentally). 

I would pull my hair out if stress wasn't already helping with that. I'm exhausted. Haven't slept more than 2 broken hours per night in the last week. The circles under my eyes tell the whole sordid "secret". Hiding them is no longer an option, nor do I have the energy to try. I'm drinking a pot of coffee every morning for the last two mornings then another mid day. My bones ache from the electrical storm we had. And my body is in a ton of pain. I haven't brushed my hair today. I barely brushed my teeth. I haven't eaten anything but Gordettos and fruit roll ups today. I'm in need of a shower. I might as well throw my makeup in the trash. And while I'm at it throw away any jeans or tight clothes. 

I feel worse than I look and I look pretty horrible lol. 

I'm wearing leggings and a tank top. Liam's chewing on everything that isn't nailed down... Oh wait scratch that. He's chewing on everything. 

And I wore these "sexy" spider Webb leggings to the bank (drive through) and dollar store this morning after dropping my daughter off at school. At least I was looking for Halloween decorations in my Halloween leggings. Well actually I was looking for colored pencils and got sucked into the Halloween section vortex and couldn't get out. The holiday sections in stores always suck me in. 

And do I care that I left my house looking like that? Not today. I do t care that I went out in those leggings and threw on a sweater or had messy hair and no make up. Why? I'm done caring what others think and could care less about pleasing anyone anymore. I too far gone now that I am unable to hide this walking yard sale any longer. 

I have two priorities:
My children's health
My children's happiness. 

Living with a chronic illness and having a child with a chronic illness goes beyond words. It's hard enough to take care of a child whose always sick. It's takes a lot of energy and patience. It trying to take care of a child with a chronic illness while living with one yourself is a whole new world. I have to fight harder to do what needs to be done. At the end of the day I'm too exhausted to eat  do anything but fall into bed once the kids are in bed. 

And I'm going to admit it, my house isn't spotless. One when you have two young kids running around making 2 messes for every 1 you cleaning seems nothing gets done. I have chronic fatigue as well as fibromyalgia so getting out of bed is difficult for me. Laundry gets back upset times thanks to a dryer that doesn't dry the first round. There's usually always some dishes in the sink. Toys cover the floor I every room because my 4 year olds mentality is that there HAS to be toys everywhere and he's playing with ALL of them, in every room, at the same time. SMH. 

There may be loads of laundry but there's loads of love in this home. We work together. We clean every day even though it looks messy again 10 minutes later. The kids may fight and torment each other but they love each other. I may want to run away from all the chaos and noise sometimes but I wouldn't trade this for anything. 

I knew being a mom and raising kids would be tough. I knew being a mom wasn't for everyone, after all look at my own mother. She didn't raise any of her 3 kids. He couldn't even handle being in her kids lives after they became adults. I knew that once I had kids I was in it for the long haul and I promised I'd never give up, or walk away. I expected sleepless nights, being thrown up on and pooped on. What I didn't expect was this life. I didn't know it could ever get this rough. I didn't know my baby could ever be sick I was expecting healthy happy children. Not one who had to fight for his life from the Minute he was born. 

I didn't expect CDH, chronic lung disease, feeding tubes of any of that her stuff I didn't expect to be exhausted and stressed all the time. I never expected I'd ever have my heart and soul shattered the way it did when Liam was born with CDH. But those were the cards God dealt me and I learned to adapt to the situation.  I learned to embrace it. Because if I hadn't I wouldn't have my little lamb. 

This is my life now. It's far from pretty and perfect. Things don't come wrapped in a bow. It can be gory and ugly at times. But this is my life and I'll defend it until the end. I was shattered but slowly am putting myself back together. It's not instant.  I can't just pop it in the microwave and it be done. Super glue won't hold. It's going to take slow steady careful stitches.

But this is my life and I love my kids for who they are not what I wish they were. 

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written! I agree with your every word! Big hugs!
    Fellow CDH mom,
    Zach's mom
    Dotty

    ReplyDelete