Monday, April 23, 2012

Oxygen/CT scan for Liam

Its been a long couple of days and Liam and I are both exhausted. 3 nights ago I believe it was he desatted for 40 min while I sat here holding him. I called 3 times for help but because of shift change everyone was busy giving reports and we didnt get any help for 40 min. He continued to desat until we got him on oxygen. It was scary.

Today we did an upper GI study which showed his fundo was in the correct place and seemed to be working. Now again we are back to no answers. The pulmanologist wants a CT scan of his lungs done. For this test Liam has to be sedated and intubated. This causes a problem because everytime Liam gets intubated his lung colapses and theres a possibility that we wont get it reinflated. The benefits out weight the risks here because we need a good look at his lungs to try to figure out whats going on. If the CT doesnt show us anything then we have to do a bronchioscope, which he has to be sedated and intubated for as well.

The last few mornings have been rough. Liam has had episodes at 4am and 7am not being able to breathe. We give him breathing treatments then I just sit there rocking him until he feels better which means I dont get to put him down until after 9am. Its nice cuddleing with him, I just feel bad that hes struggling. Today he had a breathing treatment around 4pm then at 6pm he was struggling again. We deep suctioned him and got hardly anything. The RT sucktioned again and got some mucus. She gave a breathing treatment then used the regular suction on him which pulled out old blood clotts.

Before the episode at 6pm the surgeons were hopeing to have a game plan on getting Liam home by early next week. They are talking about sending him home on oxygen. She was saying how it would be a burden for us though but I told her not to worry about that to just do whatever Liam needed. Whatever will help Liam stay home and out of the hospital I am all for. His meds have already been called in and I will walk across the street to pick then up tomarrow.

Its weird that they are talking about home when hes struggling, but theyre just hopeing that they can come up with answers. Personally I am exhausted. Our little space in the room is truely little and cramped. Theres the sink and 2/3 feet the crib with a chair shoved between the two that turns into a bed. My duffle bag keeps getting in the way because theres no room for it. Thankfully theres a curtain that I pull around the makeshift bed and tuck into the crib for privacy. That makes it nice. Its not horrible conditions at all it just makes me homesick. The worst part is watching Liam struggle. Id rather be here with him where they can help him that be at home trying to rush him to ER. Ofcourse I miss my daughter and my husband. Its hard having our family split up, especially for so long. I keep praying that this will be our last hospital stay for a very long time. We need our family together. Liams birthday is fastly approaching and we are praying we get to have a big party for him at home and not in a hospital. Over all we're hanging in there and trying to stay strong. Thank you for your continued prayer and support.



Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

No comments:

Post a Comment