Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Capture Your Grief Day 4

Capture your grief day 4: What kind of loss(Es) do you have? What were the statistics of those losses?

I've been pregnant 3 times, yet I have only 1 out of 4 children living.

*My first pregnancy, I lost twins a few weeks apart. I later found out that it was most likely vanishing twin. This occurs in 21-30% of multi fetal pregnancies.  (Read more here)

*Miscarriage occurs 1 in 4 woman. 

Lanie was born a healthy rainbow baby. Then there was Liam and my pregnancy with Liam. Sometime during pregnancy my uterus ruptured (we're guessing it occurred at the end of March/beginning of April judging by when the pain and contractions started).

*uterine rupture occurs 1 in 1,146 (.07%)

*CDH occurs 1 in every 2500 births. 

*bilateral CDH is extremely rare occurring in less than 1% of CDH cases. Most die in utero, leaving only 35% to survive pregnancy. 

*50% of babies born with CDH do not survive. 

The doctors gave Liam a 0% chance at surviving NICU. They didn't think they'd get him stable for surgery. Yet Liam survived and left NICU at a mere 48 days. I say "mere" because the majority of CDH babies stay in the hospital anywhere from a few months to even years. Liam was also born with a partial biotinidase deficiency. This meant his odds of being failure to thrive increased exponentially. Not only did CDH create a higher risk of SIDS but his partial biotinidase deficiency increased those odds. Read more about biotinidase deficiency symptoms here.

*One in 109,921 for partial biotinidase deficiency.

*Pulmonary Embolism occurs .43-4.7% in children. 

(Picture is of Liam sleeping soundly in my arms on 10/04/2011. We were at UCSF for a NG feding tube.)

No comments:

Post a Comment