Sunday, March 18, 2012

Hunger Games

While I was sitting in the hospital with Liam I read the Hunger Games series. There were random moments when I actually bursted out laughing because something unexpectidly funny happened, and times when I teared up and tried not to cry. I needed those random moments of laughter, they helped me get through what I like to call "my incarceration" because it really does feel like your locked up when your stuck at the hospital. Atleast for me it does because I refuse to leave Liam alone up there by himself. I leave the room long enough to run and get food, which I take back to the room to eat, or on the rare ocassion run to the target for clothes and food. I never take the time to just take a walk or sit in the sunshine, I never leave him overnight. Anyone who knows me knows that I love to read. Its a rareity that I find a book that has helped me through a particularly stressful situation. Hunger Games is one of those. The series kept my attention and had a great story line. When I was up at UCSF with Liam for 2 months, I didnt ready any books. Nothing kept my attention, nothing was worth reading except the CDH book that was given to me. I spent 4 months trying to find my love of books again after Liam. I fell in love with the characters in the Hunger Games and bonded with them. I realized that Katniss and I had alot in common. When she was in the Hunger Games stuck in the dome, I realized that I was dealing with my own kind of hunger games at the hospital. I was completly isolated away from all my loved ones (except Liam but he doesnt hold up any conversation) and always worrying how they were doing, if they were safe. And I find myself scarred and worse off them from his other stays, not including UCSF'S ICN stay. I feel like I did while at UCSF, sad, depressed, not being able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. In the hunger games, Katniss's only ally was her mentor who's job was to gather sponsors to pay for gifts such as food or medicine, things that would give them an edge against their oponents. My "gifts" were visits from Lanie, the delivery of clean clothes, the few times Justin took me to get food outside of the hospital and the few random things the nurses, RTs or doctors would do or say. When the tributes for the hunger games were announced and Katniss volunteered as tribute for her younger sister, it reminded me of how I seemingly always "volunteer" to be the one who stays with Liam at the hospital saving Justin from the insanity he would surely suffer. Like Katniss, Im most likely to survive. Ofcouse shes facing death, where as im only facing the "unknown". Katniss never wanted to get married or bring kids into a terrible world. I sympathize with that because I myself had to see proof that if I brought a child into the world it would be safe, that I would be able to spare it from some horrors the world holds. The Hunger Games is a really great series. It consist of 3 books written by Suzanne Collins. I started reading this series because I heard it was pretty brainless and an easy read, something to take my mind of my situation. Its true that its an easy read, but thats because it keeps you captivated and sucks you in. Just a tip since the movie is comming out: books are always better than the movies because there is no way they can put all the details from the book into a 2 hour movie. I suggest you ready the book before seeing the movie. Im wanting to complely skip the movie because Im afraid it would ruin the story or not do it justice.

Epubbud.com allows you to read books online or to download them for your iPad/iPhone/NOOKcolor/Literati/Kobo devices.

Book 1 Hunger Games http://www.epubbud.com/book.php?g=MYWA3LEW

Book 2 Catching Fire http://www.epubbud.com/book.php?g=5QL2D6BH

Book 3 Mockingjay http://www.epubbud.com/book.php?g=4DDZGM2P

No comments:

Post a Comment