Friday, July 29, 2016

Cold Hard Truth

The truth is, 
having a child changes you. 
Loosing a child destroys you.
I honestly don't think I'll ever ok again. 
I will always be a broken,
Shadow of my former self. 
And that HAS to be ok. 

I lay here on the couch.
The first night in a week I've started falling asleep before 4am. 
I close my eyes and I see Liam. 
And again sleep eludes me. 

My sweet boy laughing because I'm tickling him. 
Him crawling into my lap at bedtime for snuggles and a song. 
His middle of the day naps in my arms because he refused to fall asleep anywhere else. 
Me whispering "I love you Liam". 
The millions of times I whispered in his ear as he slept,
"I'm so proud if you little man. I love you so much. I need you so much. Just keep fighting". 

And I'm broken all over again. 
No I not ok. 
My heart is broken. 
My soul shattered. 
It hurts so much, I don't know if I can take it. 

But I do. 
Every day I do.
Every night I do. 

I feel so lost during the day. 
Feeling as if I should be doing something.
That I'm forgetting something 
I'm always looking at the clock worried about the time. 
And today it clicked. 
I'm still on his schedule. 
I still get up to feed him before I realize, he's not here. 

Sometimes I find myself in the baby aisle, starring at the diapers.
Hand stretched out to grab them. 
Then I remember. 
I catch a glimpse of a cute boys outfit,
I still stop in my tracks to look at it.
Then I remember. 
I'll have his favorite foods in my hands
Then I remember. 

A few times I opened the back door to unbuckle him from his car seat. 
But he's not there.
His seats not there. 

Last night I was up in the middle of the night. 
On my way back to bed I stepped on what felt like a Hotwheel.
My heart expanded in joy,
And I smiled. 
Then I remembered. 

I feel like my life is a cruel joke. 
You like I've been stuck in a dream that's so realistic. 
There are moments I don't know which reality is real anymore. 
But the wooden box,
Sitting on the shelf,
That's real. 
That's my reality. 

I can't hold my son and hear him giggle anymore. 
All I have is a box. 
A cold hard box,
To match this cold hard reality. 







1 comment: