Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Double Ear Infection/BlendedDiet/Lanie



For once Liam is not the one sick, and for that I am very greatful. I am in the 5th week of an ear infection. Almost at the 5 1/2 week mark. When it started, my right ear clogged up. After two days, I started buying everything on the market I could find to help. NOTHING worked. After two weeks of this, and worsening symptoms, I broke down and went into Urgent Care. This was a monday.
          * the right ear was completely clogged with wax
          * the left ear was just days away from being completely clogged.
          *Both ears were flushed and mass amounts of gross wax came out (Ill spare you the details)
          *The left ear was perfect besides the wax build up.
          *The right ear drum was red and inflamed. It was infected
The infection caused me to have  trouble breathing, a cough, stuffy nose, goopy right eye and migraine. The doc prescribed a Z-Pack oral antibiotics and antibiotic eye drops.

The following monday, I was worse instead of better and yet again could no longer take the pain. I returned to Urgent Care, this time with even worse symptoms. The doc this time was very understanding and had just gone through this herself. After a quick look she said both my ears were infected from the drums to the canals and my glands were swollen in my throat. She prescribed another oral antibiotic, antiobiotic ear drops and sulfate ear drops to dry out my ears and prevent future infections. She told me that people who have chronic allergies tend to get this problem alot. I explained that yes I have chronic allergies but have never had this issue in the past. She said if this course of antibiotics doesn't work then I am to go to my primary and request to be referred to an ENT. She said she herself just went through 3 months of this and 6 courses of antibiotics before going to an ENT and didn't want me to go through this that long. She saw Liam and I explained his medical history and needs and she pushed me even harder to make sure I get this taken care off. I'm halfway through with this course of antibiotics but my ears are still hurting. Some days worse than others. I think it completely sucks and wish it were over very soon.



Liam has been started on 2 baby food bolus's a day now. Its called the Blended Diet. I push it through his tubie. Since starting it Ive noticed some significant changes:

*he sleeps better all night long. Doesn't wake up like before.
*has more energy
*is less cranky
*wants to eat by mouth more and is hungrier
*drinks water out of a sippy cup
*stool is more normal
*his color looks better
*you can visually see him putting on weight. The top part of his legs look chunky, his arms and face too. His tummy is even starting to even out. Before his stomach was super skinny and not porportioned to his body. Now its almost even.
*he tollerates feeds better

He seems to be doing great. My goal was to get him bulked up before winter because bulking his body and immune system up will help fight off bugs. Sister is starting school and will surely bring some nasty bugs home so its very important we get a head start. Most GI's do not agree with the blended diet because your putting food into the feeding tube and their worry is that it'll get clogged. I know I will have a fight on my hands when he goes back and I explain what weve been up too. Liam was on 30 cal formula for 3 weeks and still didn't gain any weight. I couldn't let another 2 weeks go by without doing something. He had already started to not tollerate bolus formula feeds. It was time to be proactive. I spent 2 years doing it their way and their way didn;t work. It was time to show them that there are other ways. Our peditrician approved it immediately. He already knew about the blended diet so when I told him what I planned to do he was all for it. There have been no negative side effects of BD.



Lanie has been doing good. She's having some issues with change. Liam turned 2, shes getting ready to start school and shes unsure of herself. It's been a problem. Shes so emotional about everything, will cry at the drop of a hat, LITERALLY. Shes says shes excited about starting school but she has stopped asking how long before she starts. Before shed ask me daily. All we can do is comfort her and tell her everything is going to be fine and that theres nothing to worry about. She'll see.

Day in and day out its the same old routine. Work with the kids, clean the house, update facebook, attend to Liam's medical needs.

Liams new FB page is http://www.facebook.com/groups/LiamMichaelBryant Its a private group so we can monitor it better.




No comments:

Post a Comment