Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Step Back

Our little cherub got his breathing tube out two days ago as well as him chest tube. We were excited to be able to see his face and to be able to finally hold him. It had been two weeks and felt like forever. It actually felt like we had a complete family. On the 28th I got to hold him for the first time. I watched as he got paler and paler, then I watched his lips turn blue. We rushed him back to his bed where they gave him breathes and tried to find the right mask for him. It was a very scary hour process. He fought like a champ for two whole days. Today they officially stated his right lung was collapsed and they think he might have pneumonia. After x-rays and an ultrasound they decided it was time to put the tube back in. Within ten minutes of the tube being back in he looked better, more comfortable and his stats were up. I was upset at the step backward after all the progress but so happy to see him comfortable and not having to work so hard just to breathe. Now were just waiting for the result of his cultures and of the fluid they took out of his lung. I pray to God that he will be ok and will over come this. ............ On the happy side: We did get to witness another mother hold her CDH baby for the very first time in the baby's month of being born. It was exciting and I was thrilled for them. When the parents started crying the nurse almost started crying and I wasn't far behind. I teared up because I know how I felt about holding my 2 week old and I know that it was probably harder for her than it had been for me. We thank God everyday for the little moments that just seem to mean the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment