Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Just 4, Only Ever 4

We are officially in the holiday season.
A season that I once loved and was excited for.
A season that use to bring me great joy.
A season that now brings me great sadness and heartbreak.
Yesterday I plastered a smile on my face as I went to work.
My heart broke as I watched the kids watch Charlie Brown and the great pumpkin.
It was a tradition to watch it with the kids before Halloween.
A tradition that I couldn't bear to do this year.
Yet there I was put into a situation where I couldn't walk away.

I delivered treat bags to my daughters class.
All the kids were so excited.
I smiled for them.
Thought about how nice it would be to be able to smile without faking it.
To be able to be so innocent again.

My husband and I have been struggling with Halloween without Liam.
I relented and took our daughter to our church's carnival.
I relented again and took her trick or treating because she was sad we weren't.
All I wanted was to stay in bed a day and wallow in my heart break.
I wanted to hide from the world until Halloween was over.
Instead I had to suck it up for my daughter while her dad got to stay home.

I'm an emotional wreck today.
I can't even put into words how yesterday felt.
How today feels.
It's like I'm in shock all over again.
Liam's Halloweens are summed up with a mere 4 pictures.
4 Halloween's.
Only 4.
Just 4.
That's all we have.
That's all we will ever have.
4.
Four.
Just 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment