Saturday, November 8, 2014

Easy to Forget


Sometimes we look at all the good and we forget about the bad. 

I post so many pictures on Facebook of a smiling, happy, seemingly health Liam that it's just so easy to forget that there is a little boy behind that smile that has fought for his life and that still fights for his health and happiness. 

People see a few smiling pics and they forget. It's easy to forget. I've gone through Liam's page and realized how very normal he seems. Yet the truth is he's not normal. He's extroadonary! 

He's a superhero with strength beyond our reach. He's a little boy who refuses to slow down just because he's having trouble breathing. He's strong willed and fights his tube feeds because he just wants to be able to eat and run and be normal. He's a little boy who still needs his Mommas hugs when he's trying so hard but in his eyes failing. 

Your never failing Liam, as long as you try. You don't need to be normal because you are so much more than normal. Your extroadonary and everyone only wishes they could be half as awesome as you! My little Liam, be proud of who you are. Never hide. God has a plan for you, you will see one day. Just be patient. Be kind. Enjoy being you. I know it's hard sometimes and you get so frustrated you just break down crying, but we will make it through every obstacle as we've always done...together. 

My feelings for him growing up are so mixed and confused. It feels like it's been forever since he was born, not merely 3 years and 5 months ago. Yet it feels like it was only yesterday and that we've been cheated out on so much. On one hand I want so desperately for him to catch up to a normal height so he isn't so small compared to the other kids. Yet I am secretly glad that he is growing slower so I can attempt to get back the time CDH has cheated us out of. However there is one thing I am never confused on: I always want him to be healthy. 

3 years ago yesterday we celebrated Liam reaching the 10lbs marks. 

It was such an exciting moment. I remember crying in the doctors office after he was weighed. Finally after all the struggles to get him to eat, it took a nissen fundo and a gtube for him to gain weight. This was the moment I knew 100% I had made the right choice in letting them give him a gtube. 

A few weeks ago he stepped on the scale at my doctors office and it read just over 27 pounds. It took 3 years to gain 17 pounds. He spent 2 years unable to get past 20-23 pounds. It was a hard time for everyone. 

There's so much my little superhero has accomplished. Things that we weren't sure would be possible. He didn't walk until right before his 2nd birthday. He didn't even crawl till about age 1 1/2 years. We've come far and I am happy that it's easy for most to forget he has medical needs. Finally people are able to see what I've seen all along, a sweet loving little Liam. 


No comments:

Post a Comment