Sunday, August 14, 2011

One Month

Liam turned one month today and it was a big day for us. That fact that he survived so many odds to actually make it to be one month old. Undiagnossed CDH babies don't usually have a chance to make it because the first thing the doctors do when they are born is try to make them breathe. With CDH babies they need to be intubated and paralized as soon as possible until they can go through the repair surgery. Babies with CDH also need to be born at a hospital that specialize in CDH. Unfortunatly there is only one on the west coast. Liam had to be Life flighted to UCSF after they finnaly figured out what was wrong with him. Most CDH babies don't survive the transport. Then he had to be put on ecmo as a last resort to save his life. Let me tell you when I was at kaweah delta hospital and I got the call saying he was sicker than he should be for a baby with his condition and that the only thing left was ecmo I was upset. Upset and mild to how I reacted. After I gave permission I broke down and was hysterical. My heart rate was off the charts and they had to give me meds to calm me down. Most babies don't survive ecmo. What Liam has been thorugh already in his one month, what he has survived and overcome is a miracle of God. I am so thankful he's come as far as he has and I just pray we get many many many more years with him. Liam is going to be switched from the cpap machine to the nasal canula tonight or tomarrow. That is a very huge step. We also get to try bottle feeding tomarrow. Its going to be a big big day. I put Liam in one of my favorite onsies today. It said "Mommy's New Man" on it. It was newborn and still swollowed him. He's getting some chubby rolls finnaly and its adorable. I can't wait to see his chubby little cheeks and kiss them. Thank you all for wishing little Liam a happy one month bday and know that his one year were going to have a huge party.

No comments:

Post a Comment