Sunday, June 15, 2014

Hidden Sacrifices


I saw this on Facebook and had to share. As a caregiver to a medically complex child I know all too well the sacrifices that need to be made. We give up everything, even ourselves for our loved ones. 

What we do goes unnoticed and underappriciated. We suffer along with our loved ones and put our pain aside to make room to ease their pain and suffering. 

We don't do it for recognition. We do it because we love the person we are caring for. It's simple. 

As a caregiver I give up the majority of my time to take care of my child. I give up sleep every night and am often exhausted. I spend a lot of time worrying about what needs to be done for Liam. I have no "free" time, no time to myself. I'm often asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow to only be up half the night with my son. 

Money that would be "extra" that could be used on maybe buying something extra is used to put gas in the car to get Liam to his many appointments. Regular maintenance like oil changes and tires as well. There are meds insurance doesn't buy that we have too. 

We don't do this for the recognition. We do it without complaint because we love Liam. Because he is our son and he deserves the chance at a normal life. So if we have to give up some sleep and buy extras to help move him towards a healthy future then that's what we will do. 









No comments:

Post a Comment