Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Biotin issues

I hate hospitals. More problems always occur during admitions. They smell weird. You have to sleep on hard surfaces with blankets that are scratchy. You get to see a doctor once a day for less than 5 minutes. Liam gets easily bored and cranky. When he finnaly falls asleep they wake him up. What makes this on the verge of unbearable is that I dont get to watch my baby girl grow up. I dont get to kiss her goodnight or make her feel better when she gets hurt. Im not there to make sure shes eating right or to read her stories. I dont dont get to play tea party or lalaloopsies with her. Not when im here at the hospital. And everytime I have to go away with Liam, i come back to an angry little girl. A hurt and angry little who. It breaks my heart.

The question I get asked ALL the time: how do you do it?
I always answer: its hard but we manage.
The truth: its extremely painful and heart wrenching and isnt going without causing damage. I have meds that are supposed to keep me from being depressed but really only keep the emotions under the surface.
What helps the most? This. Blogging, journaling, writing poetry.

My sweet little girl is at home getting tucked into bed and im wishing I was there to cuddle with her. I know what your thinking and ive heard it all before. Ghe hospital is only an hour away. I could easily drive back and forth every night. I guess for some people thats an option. Not for us. We dont have the money for gas nor do we have a vehicle that could handle daily trips back and forth. We are working class family who have been hit by one bad circumstance after another leaving us both unemployed. That makes the stress a whole lot worse. Its still not a complaint. Its just life. We are a family that survives and have stuck together through "hell". Yes I wish things were better, easier, but who doesn't.

The doc is now thinking Liam has an allergy to biotin. For a normal person, youd just carry around an epi pen and try to avoid foods that have biotin in them. For some with Biotinadase deficiency, like Liam, this is bad. His deficiency is only a partial so were not exactly sure how this is going to play out. We do know he needs to take the biotin in order to break down and obsorb foods to grow and we also know that missing a few doses won't really hurt him. What we dont know is how long he can ho without it and if he truely is allergic what were going to do. So were waiting on genetics to give us some insight. Liam is still doing basically the same, except for vommiting up his biotin. And this could turn out to be a coincidents, one really huge one. Im waiting and trying to do so patiently. I dont want them jumping to conclusions.

If you could, please pray:
1. That Liams is not allergic to biotin
2. That he stops vomitting
3. That he has no more asthma attacks
4. That his rash and cough go away
5. That we find out whats causing the rash, cough, vommiting, asthma attacks
6. That liam gets a medi port soon so he doesnt have to be poked anymore
7 that we get to stay home for longer than a week before his next admittance and that he doesnt have to spend his first birthday in the hospital

Thank you for your continued support and prayers.


Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

1 comment:

  1. Hugs and Prayers!!! Many, many, many prayers for answers and improvement and that you all get to be back together as a family soon!!!!!!!!
    Hugs,
    Jennifer
    Mom to Dakota 12-25-2008
    RCDH survivor
    jennifertrafton@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete