Friday, June 8, 2018

More Than Normal

Normal.

Normal was what we tried to give Liam. We wanted him to do normal boy things like play in the mud and climb trees. I swore one day I'd be taking him to ER for a normal broken arm instead of breathing or feeding problems. We tried so very hard to give him a "normal" life. I realize now that his life was anything but normal. It was so much MORE than normal. It was EXTRAORDINARY.



Liam taught us how to be strong. He was the strongest little boy I have ever known. He didn't fit in. He stood out. Like the brightest star in the sky. His smile shone brighter than the sun and when you saw it you couldn't help but smile too. His eyes would light up, as if there were actual lights behind his eyes, when he saw something he loved. He wasn't meant to fit in and get lost in the crowd. He was meant to shine and shine he did.



Liam shone so brightly until his last breath. He shone so brightly that his memory still shines in our hearts and in our memories. He was loved beyond measure, no he is still loved beyond measure.



I had so many fears for him, yet he was fearless. I was afraid he wouldn't fit in with the other kids at school but it was so much more. He stood out and yet they still loved him. He was proud of his differences and spread awareness in his own way. He loved showing off his Gtube. When he started having breathing issues and was back on oxygen, I wanted to keep him home. I was scared. Liam wasn't. He walked into that room as if nothing was different. Everyone had questions so I explained. One little boy said "so hes like an astronaut!" Liam's differences were celebrated. He was accepted despite them because he shone so brightly.



I was stupid to think normal was for Liam. He was so much more than normal. He was EXTRAORDINARY.

To quote Peter Pan "To live will be an awfully BIG adventure". Liam's life was an adventure. Every day, all day, he was exploring the world around him. Flying like Superman. Exploring the stars like an astronaut. Racing. The world was whatever he created it to be. He lived a huge life of adventure and love. A life fuller than most who live a long life. That's what I try to hold on too. Life is short and I want to live life like Liam did, for him. For me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment